2-Year-Old Girl Raped And Beaten To Death By Her Mom’s 30-Year-Old Boyfriend - Nicole Kaima's Blog


Tuesday, November 24, 2020

2-Year-Old Girl Raped And Beaten To Death By Her Mom’s 30-Year-Old Boyfriend

A 2-year-old toddler, Nyiko, has reportedly died after being raped and beaten to death by her mother’s 30-year-old boyfriend in Diepkloof, Soweto, South Africa.

The mother, 17, who is heavily pregnant and her boyfriend fled after the death of the child at Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital but were tracked down and arrested by police. 

READ ALSO: Any Attempt To Arrest Abaribe Over Kanu’s Bail Will Be Resisted By Ndigbo – MASSOB

According to the police, on 16 November 2020, members of the Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences (FCS) specialised unit were summoned by a medical practitioner from Baragwanath Hospital, alerting police of the rape of a two-year-old child who had been assaulted and brought in the previous night for medical attention. 

An urgent forensic investigation was embarked on and all relevant forensic evidence collected for processing by the SAPS Forensic Science Laboratory. It was only on the Tuesday, 17 November 2020, that the mother of the victim came to report the incident to the police. Nevertheless, this assisted police in obtaining vital information towards building a solid case in order to secure arrests. 

The victim’s mother and her boyfriend identified as Tebogo Ramokgopa, were arrested on Tuesday, November 24, and are expected to appear in the Protea Magistrate Court, on Wednesday, November 25. 

During the preliminary investigation, police were able to establish that on Sunday 15 November 2020, the mother of the deceased toddler had left her two-year-old daughter in the care of her boyfriend for about two hours. On her return around 20h30, she alleged that she couldn't find the boyfriend but the boyfriend’s father was home, and the child was asleep. She went to sleep not wanting to disturb the child. 

According to the complainant, she woke up in the middle of the night to check on the child only to find the child with serious injuries to her face. She took the child to nearby Baragwanath Hospital for medical attention. The outcome of the medical examination found that the child had been penetrated and that is when the doctor called the police.
Sadly, the child succumbed to injuries and was certified dead on Thursday 19 November 2020; and the initial case of assault with intention to cause grievous bodily harm was subsequently changed to murder.

Police have reason to believe that the child may have suffered previous abuse at the hands of her step-father and this went unreported. This is the basis of the arrest of the teenage mother who in this instance, only reported the incident to the police two days later. 

READ ALSO: #EndSARS: CNN Releases Second Report On Lekki Massacre Despite Threats From FG

Investigations continue pending the outcome of the forensic analysis as police seek to build a watertight case that can stand in court and ensure that justice is served.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, you can leave a comment below

'; (function() { var dsq = document.createElement('script'); dsq.type = 'text/javascript'; dsq.async = true; dsq.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + '.disqus.com/embed.js'; (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(dsq); })();